1/17/12

Gymnastics!

I forgot to post about this last week, but last Thursday, Gemma started her gymnastics class! I, for one, had no idea what to expect and felt totally confused when we got there. There was no front desk of sorts and it was a mess of a class ending and people coming in. Thankfully, Gemma's friend, Maeve, was also taking the class, so I didn't have to feel so awkward by myself. 

They started out with a stretching routine that they really make fun for the little kids. Gemma is in a class of 2 to 3-year-olds. Then the class split into two, I'm guessing into the 2-year-olds and 3-year-olds, and the kids went through different stations doing obstacle course-like thing, trampoline, balance beams, bars, and they got to jump/be thrown into a giant pit of foam blocks (I could only cringe at the thought of all the germs in there, to be honest). When the class initially started, Gemma was eager to get going and wanted to just jump on the trampoline, instead of listening to the instructor and doing what she was being told to do. Eventually, she got the idea and I kept encouraging her to look at the teacher. This is the first "structured" class of sorts that Gemma has ever been in, so it was an adjustment for her to have to take turns, have time limits, and follow directions. 

Overall, she had a great time and couldn't stop talking about "nastics" for the rest of the day. It's not something I want her to do competitively, but I just want her to have fun and burn some energy. I feel bad for her most days because she is SUCH an active child and wants to run around and jump around and whatnot and I would rather be at home, mostly on the computer, etc. I feel like many times I force her to adopt the couch-potato habits because there is nothing for her to do... How do you keep your kids active at home? I can't wait til Leni is crawling/walking, as I feel like they will for sure then keep each other entertained. Until then, I better get off my butt and be a good playmate!

No comments:

Post a Comment