7/24/09

a big little scare

when you see blood under any circumstance, it's never a good sign. when you see blood while you're pregnant, it numbs you and scares you to the point where you can't speak. then you start to bawl, thinking the worst has happened.

that was me yesterday. i immediately called my clinic in high river, who told me i was under their cut-off for being seen (apparently you have to be 21 weeks to be seen by them; under 21 weeks, you go to the emergency). i was 20 weeks and 6 days yesterday, meaning i'm 21 weeks today. yet, she said the policy guidelines were clear - i would have to go to emergency.

then i called my family doctor's office, only to be told it's "normal" by the secretary. that woman seriously needs to get a reality check - she's not the doctor, she's the secretary. she won't book me an appointment until next week even though she can hear me completely freaking out over the phone.

so here i am panicking, no one willing to help me out. i call jesse to tell him, which immediately freaks him out and he rushes home. thankfully he was working really close to home yesterday...

so we go to the urgent care. a usually very busy place, there was no one there except us. we were seen rather quickly, the doctor listened to the baby's heartbeat and did an exam. no blood seen, cervix is nice and closed, heartbeat is good, and baby is moving. must have been flukey blood. a lot of time in pregnancy, the doctor says, there is just unexplained blood seen. no one knows why it happens and nearly all of the time the baby is born just fine and healthy.

anyways, everything looks okay and i don't know what i would do without jesse. i'm so incredibly blessed to have him.

2 comments:

  1. Grace did I tell you that happened to me? I was just finished my first trimester, and one evening had a huge gush of blood. We sat in the ER for 8 hours until I was seen... I know how you felt. Probably one of the most scariest moments of your life! I'm glad everything is okay... don't stress and make sure you take care of yourself!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that everything is fine. It is soooo scary when something is out of the ordinary. But never feel like you "freaked out" for nothing. It is YOUR baby in YOUR body and nobody can tell you you over-reacted. You can never over-react with pregnancy. Good for you to be on top of things and pro-active about your health care.

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete