7/2/09

trip to the ER

so 3 days ago, i was just suddenly hit by the flu. i haven't had the flu since i've been getting my yearly shots for 3 years or so. it started with a cough, then a really bad headache, then fever and chills.

now, normally, i would never go to the emergency because i have the flu... but i wasn't sure how the fever would affect the baby since all the books will tell you the baby shouldn't get too warmed up (hence, no hot baths or steamrooms). so after wrapping my head with an icy towel for a few hours, i finally gave in and called healthlink and talked to a lovely nurse named Barb. Barb was concerned about my heart rate (never less than 100 and as high as 133 bpm at rest) and shortness of breath. she also said maternal fever has to be looked at, no matter what the cause is. so she suggested i go to the emergency to be assessed.

we got to high river hospital at about 10:30. we registered and then the nicest triage nurse in the history of the nursing profession, earla, checked my blood pressure, heart rate, and temperature. yes, i have a fever. yes, my bp is elevated. yes, my heart rate is at 126 or so. she is concerned about my constant elevated heart rate and proceeds to an electrocardiogram.

that hospital was SO empty. i have never in my life seen such a quiet hospital emergency. it was rather eerie. shortly after the ECG, the lovely dr. walsh came and saw me. he felt i just had the flu (yes, thanks for that info) and that i just needed some TLC. he was very understanding that this is my first pregnancy and that i'm in uncharted waters here... was in no rush to send me out and did not, for a second, act as though i was wasting his time.

by 11:20 we were driving out of the hospital. an emergency room visit completed in less than an hour. have you ever heard of such a thing?

i am so incredibly impressed with the compassion of earla and dr. walsh. as of now, i'm so very glad that i chose to have my baby at this wonderful and caring hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment