12/1/11

Bad Behavior

It's been a rough week.

Last Friday, Gemma and I were at a friend's house when she had her first accident out of the house. Not to mention, this was her first accident in weeks, if not months. I was so caught off guard and, admittedly, so embarrassed that we left kinda bluntly (sorry, Crystal!).

On Sunday, Jesse took Gemma to church. Leni and I stayed home as she was asleep and I didn't want to wake her. When Jesse came home, he was so completely frazzled - I've almost never seen him like that. Apparently as soon as Gemma got to church and went to the toddler area, she started to cry and didn't want to go. Gemma is very social and she loves to play with other kids and new toys, so this was very unlike her. The lady there distracted her with toys while Jesse ducked out and when he returned 15 minutes to check on her, she was being held by the lady, screaming her head off and crying. When he took Gemma from the lady, she calmed down a bit, but every time the lady would look at her, she would fling herself backwards on the ground and scream. There wasn't any point in staying much longer after that, so they came home. 

On Monday, instead of going to toddler class, we went grocery shopping and stopped at Costco. While I was paying, Gemma was sitting in the cart and the packing lady came and said to Gemma "hi, sweetie" when Gemma swung at her and nearly hit her in the face. I was completely mortified and couldn't apologize enough. I couldn't believe it. Gemma is always friendly to strangers (though sometimes she might be shy) and has never acted like that before. 

I've stopped taking her out of the house for fear of what else she will do/who else she will hit. At home, she has been hitting Jesse, my mom, and sometimes even me. I don't understand this as this change all happened so suddenly. I feel like lately I've been spending even more time with her and doing more stuff with her just the two of us, so I can't understand that it would be the result of lack of attention. I've been so incredibly stressed and even thought about canceling her birthday party next week. 

What am I supposed to do???

1 comment:

  1. You don't need to apologize to me! I have a toddler too and have spent many days contemplating if banging my head against the wall would help :) We hope to see you all on Tuesday, I hope your weekend is relaxing.

    ReplyDelete