4/27/10

Infant Nutrition Class

Yesterday I went to the Infant Nutrition Class in High River for an introduction to solids. It was taught by a dietitian and a public health nurse. I think I basically knew all the info except that you don't have to start with rice cereal! In fact, the dietitian suggested meat (extremely well cooked and pureed) as the best first food because of it being a natural source of iron, rather than something fortified with iron.
She also said you should really keep a lookout for signs that your baby is ready for solids because you don't want to miss this window of opportunity. To be honest, I think Gemma is very ready; she can sit up in her high chair unassisted, is extremely interested in our food and always reaches for what we're eating or drinking, can drink out of a cup if i offer it to her, and lately has been holding her own bottle if she's given one. Oh and she often seems unsatisfied after breastfeeding in the afternoon and early evening.

I do want to wait though. She'll be 5 months in 2 weeks and I will revisit the issue then. The doctor gave me the okay to start her on cereal right away if i wanted to, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment