5/12/10

Mystery Solved

I took Gemma to see Dr. Hulland (the pediatric dentist) on Monday. After a thorough look and feel, she confirmed that those bumps are indeed Bohn nodules. It was reassuring to hear it from her because she said she has seen it a thousand times (so I guess not THAT uncommon!). She told me that Gemma is symptomatic from them because they are made up of the same type of cells as teeth. Just like some kids cut teeth with no trouble at all, some will never even notice these nodules. She said that because Gemma has had such a hard time with these nodules coming up, she will probably be even worse when real teeth come in... 

...Great.

So mystery solved. Dr. Hulland suggested I rub the area often to encourage the nodule to exfoliate out of her gums. She also told me not to be surprised if Gemma gets more on the other side. The good thing is that these will not affect her bite or her teeth placement whatsoever, which is good. They're supposed to disappear soon.

Yay! I'm glad they're not teeth.... but i am definitely not looking forward to when real teeth start coming in!!

No comments:

Post a Comment