5/7/10

A Mystery

So after discovering Gemma's "tooth" a few weeks back, I took her to the doctor because there were some concerning features:

It's where a molar should be.
It's not coming out of the biting aspect of the gum, but rather the side of it.

As soon as I showed Dr. McCracken, he said "that's not a tooth". He thought it was a type of inclusion cyst called Bohn nodule. It should go away within a week or two. 

Well. It's still here. and I looked up Bohn nodule and inclusion cysts on the internet and in my medical dictionary. They don't seem to fit the description of what she has. Also, it's supposed to be asymptomatic, but Gemma is definitely suffering because of them. She has all the symptoms of teething until the "nodule" appears. Once it is visible, she is back to normal. 

Oh and did I mention a few days ago she popped another "nodule"? Same side, same position, but on top. She had been extremely whiney and cranky for days, naps disturbed, screaming while and after eating. In the first few days of that, I checked all over to see if she was getting another one. Nothing. Then just a day or so after I checked, the new one was there.

So I made an appointment at the dentist, hoping they could give me some answers. I think it frustrated me more than anything. The dentists themselves were useless; they had NO IDEA what they were. The one assistant (who used to work for a pediatric dentist) suggested that i take Gemma to see a pedontist. But the one dentist was really aggravating. The assistant would ask "do you think it could be a cyst?" and he would reply "yup". Then she would ask, "do you think it could be a molar coming through first?" and he would reply "yup". Then she would ask, "do you think it could be a bone?" and he would reply "yup".It reminded me of a scene in a movie where a patient would be lying on the couch talking to a psychiatrist and the psychiatrist would mutter "uh-huh" all the time, but it would show that he's actually doing a crossword puzzle or something.

Anyways, so the mystery is still a mystery. They called for a referral to a pedontist and I should hear from them soon. I'm not worried that it's cancer or anything really sinister, but I do want to know WHAT IT IS and if it will affect her teeth when they do decide to come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment