8/9/10

Pediatrician

A few months ago, Gemma developed this odd head movement where she would shrug her shoulder/head on one side. Some days, she would only do it once or twice and other days she would do it ten times in 1 minute. I took her to the family doctor and while we were there Gemma actually did the movement. Dr. McCracken wasn't sure what it could be, so sent us to see Dr. Klym, a pediatrician. 

Thankfully the wait wasn't long to see her, only about a month. Unfortunately the wait to see her today was really long (over an hour!) and by the time we got to see her, Gemma was extremely cranky. 

I had taken a video of this head movement just after the referral was made and showed it to Dr. Klym. She then asked me a hundred questions regarding my pregnancy, Gemma's birth and development, and Jesse's and my family histories. 

She told me she thinks they are stereotypies, a transient movement disorder in children under 3. She thinks that Gemma will grow out of them (and in fact, she hasn't had these movements in weeks) and that I shouldn't worry unless it got much worse or it was starting to hurt her. She said sometimes stereotypies are linked to a developmental disorder or autism, Aspergers, etc., but by seeing and examining Gemma today and by hearing about Gemma's milestones, she doesn't think I have anything to worry about in that respect. In fact, she said Gemma seems even advanced for her age...*phew*

We still need to follow up with her in 3-6 months, just to make sure things are still good. Needless to say, I'm glad we got this sorted out.

No comments:

Post a Comment