10/28/10

Tummy Troubles? Part Deux

So I had an appointment booked for Monday to take Gemma in to see our family doctor (remember I called last Monday?) ... I called this morning again just to see if they could put me on a cancellation list because her poops were getting more and more frequent and also more and more undigested. Although the receptionist told me she would call if they had a cancellation, I was skeptical that we would get seen and so I got ready to go to Urgent Care.

As I was grabbing the diaper bag to go out, the phone rang and it was the doctor's office. She told us to come as soon as possible and we headed out the door that second.

So here is the thing... Gemma had eight poops in the last 24 hours. All kinds of foodstuffs were coming out undigested, including whole peas, whole beans, whole raisins, whole oatmeal, etc. Even the color wasn't changing to brown. Even cereal came out looking like cereal. Yet, she never cried or whined in pain, never reacted to me touching her belly, was still sleeping well (during the day and night), and was happy and energetic. She was a bit clingy this morning, but that was about it for other "symptoms"...

So after I told the doctor all of this, he thought it was most likely just teething symptoms, even though it seemed a bit severe that she was pooping eight times in 24 hours. She has no other symptoms of a viral illness and is cutting two teeth right now. I guess she does have different symptoms with each tooth and the diarrhea is just what these teeth decided to bring.

her last poop today was definitely better - even with the undigested food, it was much more solid. I hope this means we're on the road to normalcy.

No comments:

Post a Comment