7/23/11

Week 1 - gone

I think the first week home with a newborn is the slowest week ever. I think it was the same way with Gemma. The lack of sleep, the challenges of breastfeeding, the getting-to-know-them stage, all compounded with physical recovery which at times seems will never come... But alas, the week has passed and already the last couple days has flown by. It must mean things are looking up - and they are!

Leni's jaundice is pretty well gone. She does have some residual yellowing of her eyes and a bit on her face, but the doctor checked her out and said she looked great. 

She's also eating off the boob! Hooray! I am hoping this can mean the end of pumping (unless i choose to do it for going out or something). 

Here's something i don't understand though. Leni is eating about as much as I make (or pump, for that matter). For example, I can pump 3 oz easily now (total) from both sides and that is how much she eats. I don't know why the nurse and the doctor are all suggesting I go on motilium to try to increase my milk supply - and to quote them - so that I can "feed the neighborhood". I really don't want an oversupply again. I want just a good balance. Maybe that will just mean Leni will just be a skinnier kid than Gemma is - is there something wrong with that? I mean she's not starving for Pete sakes!

Even saying that, she is gaining weight and as she gets fatter, she is looking more and more different from her sister. Her skin is darker, her hair line is different, her nose is bigger, she already has the eyelids, and her face is a bit rounder... they are both so beautiful in their own little ways...

In other news, I am feeling good. Yesterday I had a terrible cramp that sent me to Urgent Care, but all is good. No infection or hemorrhage, just a spasm i guess of the uterus (it hurt so bad, i was rolling on the floor in tears and hyperventilating). I will tell you this - a speculum exam a week after having given birth SUCKS. 

I've lost 20 lb, so i have another 20 to go (stupid ice cream and cupcakes). My once terribly swollen feet are now back to normal. 

Gemma seems to be coming around slowly.... very slowly.... I am trying to spend more one-on-one time with her, which seems to help.

Next week Jesse is back at work and I wonder how things will go... At least my mom is still off work to help me out... Thanks mom... couldn't do this without you...

1 comment:

  1. Great job Grace! Things will always fall into place the way they should...with everything, and you know your body and baby the best so trust your instincts. 3oz is awesome...i could barely get 2 out of 1 boob after a week! :)

    ReplyDelete