3/16/11

Can't get etouffee out of my head

It is possible to crave something you've never tasted before? 

All day, I've been obsessing over a dish I've never eaten before. ETOUFFEE. This is a cajun/creole dish from New Orleans that is basically a roux of oil and flour, then the "holy trinity" of green pepper, onion, and celery, and shrimp or crawfish with cajun seasoning. I guess you eat it on rice or on slices of french bread. 

So how did i come about this odd craving?

This morning I got a notification on Facebook that someone had commented on my status from the weekend. As soon as i saw her name, i pictured a Rough Riders jersey and then i was thinking about football. Then i remembered this Rachael Ray episode where she had these football players come on the show and make their signature dishes. One of the guys made an etouffee and I remember at the time thinking that is such a weird dish to have a base of nearly a cup of oil and flour. Anyways, my mind was transfixed on this etouffee and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since i got that facebook notification. Even while i was making one of our favorite dinners tonight (grilled flank steak with mushroom risotto), i couldn't stop drooling over the taste of etouffee that i was imagining in my head. 

I love Louisiana food - po'boys, jambalayas, blackened fish and chicken, etc. but i've never had etouffee before. So i'm pretty sure i'll like it - just still not sure about all that oil...

So if i can get through tonight and not stay up all night thinking about it, I am planning on making it tomorrow. I looked up tons of recipes and it seems simple enough. I think i can do it. 

I'll let you know if it tastes as heavenly as I am imagining it to be....

No comments:

Post a Comment