3/4/11

Name Game

Ahh, one of the very first decisions as a parent that you have to make - finding a name for your baby. We were lucky with Gemma - I heard it, loved it, and that was it. It was perfect in that it wasn't a very popular name (well, so i thought - now i see Gemmas everywhere) and that it was two syllables and that it was easy enough for the old folks in my family to pronounce. Plus, it has the nice meaning of a "gem" or "precious stone".

I know we didn't find "Gemma" until probably my third trimester and before that we had a few other names picked out. Looking back, I can't picture Gemma being a "so and so" and "so and so". Weirdly enough too, i don't really like any of those names anymore.

Once again, finding a name for this baby is proving to be a challenge. Jesse and I can't seem to agree in many ways. He likes names that are almost TOO old fashioned. These are my criteria: it can't be too popular, has to be easy to say, should be spelled the way it is to be pronounced, and it should have a nice meaning. It may sound weird that it has to mean something nice and i didn't think it so important before, but i think it does matter to some extent. For example, one of the names that i liked for a boy was "Cael", but the name means DOG. I don't want my kid's name to mean DOG. Know what i mean?

I am hoping we have another one of those eureka! moments with this baby's name. In the meantime, I am pretty sure what I want its name to be, but Jesse isn't completely sold. But i keep telling him that now that i know what labor and delivery feels like, he has no choice in the matter. LOL. I was naive before. LOL.

How did you go about choosing your baby's name? Book? TV? just something you heard? something you've always loved?

2 comments:

  1. With Rocco i literally found his name in a spanish gossip magazine...Peter's only job was to try and "make fun" of the names i chose so that our kid wouldn't get made fun of (he still might!) With our next one, as long as it was as "original" as Rocco and had some sort of spanish background then it would be ok. We don't care too much about the meaning of the names.
    Good luck finding a name! It's still a fun process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana, I love the name Rocco. In fact, i had talked about it before we knew that Gemma was a girl. I can't wait to hear what your new little guy's name is!

    ReplyDelete