3/7/11

some puke and some change

For the most part, it was a good weekend. It was busy, but productive. Jesse got started on the basement and has framed out a wall and a half. I helped by writing down measurements and scrutinizing everything (like a good wife does, LOL). We went to church yesterday and had a lovely outing at the mall.

On friday, I finished work a little early and went out to the Meat store. When I came back, I noticed my mom was just furious about something and Gemma was in a corner just playing and reading books. I asked her what was wrong and she just blew up! Apparently Reggie (our dog) had a little upchucking accident and threw up a couple of his kibbles on the rug under the kitchen tablet. That rug is very patterned and so it's hard to pick anything out on there. I guess Gemma was just going about her business when she spotted the throwup and then was checking it out with her hands. I guess curiosity got the best of her and she tasted some of it and at that moment she burst out crying. My mom was doing something probably in the kitchen and when Gemma began to cry she looked over and saw she had something on her hands and around her mouth. Then she saw what it was and basically had a heart attack. She rinsed out Gemma's mouth and washed her hands and then waited for me to come home to tell me what she has been telling me for a year now - that dog has got to go.

On saturday evening, just after supper, Gemma and I were just hanging out and then I decided to go check facebook or email or something. My mom's computer happened to be on, so i went to her room to use it. Gemma followed me and climbed up on to the bed, which she likes to do. Then, while I am looking at the computer screen, I hear a big *gulp*. I look over, not sure of what I just heard. She looks at me proudly with a coin in each hand. I of course then immediately have a heart attack and I ask her, calmly, but worried, if she ate a coin. Of course she just bursts out crying and I'm crying on the inside.

I called Healthlink and the nurse suggests that because the coin could be bigger than Gemma's three middle fingers put together, she needs to be seen right away. But I am not even sure if she swallowed anything. She is not one to swallow things that taste weird/bad (like the dog puke). On top of that, when I tell mom, she says that she didn't swallow anything because the change on her bed was the six cents she had in her pocket that she picked up from somewhere else in the house (gemma had a nickel and a penny).

Well we head to Urgent Care anyway. Gemma is fine in that she is not choking, puking up blood, or having trouble breathing/swallowing. The nurses joke that she is fine because she is screaming her head off as they take her temperature. When we got there, there were about 2 people in front of us. Then, more and more people came and more and more we were getting pushed back. Finally we left, as it was WAY past Gemma's bedtime and the doctor was probably going to suggest we look for it in her poop in the next 3 days as the healthlink nurse had suggested. If she showed symptoms, we could come back then.

well, Gemma is fine and she hasn't pooped anything out, but there probably isn't anything to poop out. I will let you know if we find a shiny something in her diaper in the next day or so though.

I can't help but to feel like the most neglectful mother in the world when things like this happen. I sometimes wonder if my children will make it through their childhood in one piece...

No comments:

Post a Comment