6/19/10

A Helpless Moment

Today is Saturday and we had plans to go to Blessings to pick up some Veggietales CDs for Gemma. Unfortunately, the closest Christian bookstore to us is nearly an hour away. Anyways, Gemma woke up from her morning nap, ate a breakfast of cereal and egg yolk (which she has had before and had no issues with) and nursed about 20 minutes after she ate. We got ready to go and my mom was holding her when Gemma spat up - a little on herself, but mostly on mom and her new Coach purse... Mom went and changed and I put Gemma in her car seat. She spat up again... We had just driven out of the neighborhood and down the road when she spat up some more. At this point, we were getting concerned because the amount was increasing each time. The road we were going to take was closed due to a parade today, so we had to turn around and detour around town to get where we were going. Gemma quickly fell asleep and we thought she was feeling a bit better. 

Then she threw up all over herself. I'd say there was about a cup or more of throwup. We pulled into a park and got her out and while Jesse was holding her, she was heaving and continuing to throw up. There was so much liquid. There was a huge pool of it in her car seat. Of course we just came straight home. I took her upstairs to bathe her and change her when she threw up even more. Poor baby was just exhausted from all the vomiting and she could hardly keep her eyes open. I quickly washed her and put her in a new sleeper, and held her for a bit. She was so tired and could barely lift her head. I swaddled her and as soon as I did, she was out like a light. I hovered over her for a few minutes to make sure she was okay and left the room door open. We all took turns checking on her every 5 minutes. She slept for almost 2 hours and woke up mostly like her old self, but tired.
This is the first time Gemma has ever been sick. I have never felt so helpless in my life, watching her be so sick with nothing that I could do... I think it must be the worst feeling in the world...

1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling Grace! Its so scary and hard at the same thing! Poor little girl! Its great that your soother training is working! Thats awesome... one thing that came to mind was that you guys might want to consider is if she's sick maybe it might be a good idea to "postpone" the soother training until after she gets better! Poor little lady!! You and Jesse are such a great team!!

    ReplyDelete