6/19/10

Sootherless Day & Night #1

Okay. So Gemma was napping (with her soother) when I wrote my last post. Once she woke up, we went to Wal-Mart. Usually I give her the soother in the car to keep her from crying (though it doesn't always work). Well, she didn't have one and she did fine. Even at Wal-Mart, she sat in the shopping cart, curiously looking around and trying to snatch my shopping list from my hands. On the way home, she did good too. 

So when the time came for her nap, I put her in her sleep sack and tried to do the usual ritual (sleep sack, cuddle, some kisses, and down on the crib). She didn't want to be cuddled AT ALL. She just kept crying and squirming. She soon began screaming. So whatever, I put her down anyway. I stroked her hair for a few seconds and left. Screaming, screaming, and screaming. Three minutes later I went in and stroked her hair again. Screaming continued. Five minutes after that, I went in and stroked her hair. Screaming continued. Ten minutes after that, I went in and stroked her hair. She turned her head to the side and became quiet. When I turned my back to leave, she started to cry. So I turned back and looked at her and she had her eyes wide open, batting at her ocean aquarium. I turned the music on, but left the light and bubbles off. She squealed and looked at the aquarium. I left, thinking "whatever, she can play if that's what she wants to do". After she was quiet for about 20 minutes, I went in to check and she was passed out. She slept and hour and a half. Woohoo!

At her next nap, I just turned on the aquarium and left. She made a few wails, but then just stopped and slept. When Jesse got home, Reggie barked and so she woke up, but I didn't go in. She was quickly quiet again and went back to sleep. Another hour and a half.

Bedtime came and I was nervous. I planned to go to sleep as soon as she did so I could catch some extra Z's if this was gonna be a hard night. At about 7:30, I put her down. She screamed for about 5 minutes or so and when I went and stroked her hair, she turned her head to the side and went to sleep. She woke up this morning at 6:30 and I didn't hear a peep out of her until then. I kept on waking up though and looking at the clock, being amazed each time that she hadn't woken up.

So day & night #1 was a success!


1 comment:

  1. Yay for Gemma! I'm thinking about getting rid of Rocco's soother soon....

    ReplyDelete